1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble
2 Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed,
And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3 Though its waters roar and be troubled, Though the mountains shake with its swelling. Selah
4 There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God, The holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High.
5 God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her, just at the break of dawn.
6 The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted.
7 The LORD of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah
8 Come; behold the works of the LORD, Who has made desolations in the earth.
9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariot in the fire.
10 Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
11 The LORD of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah
Psalm 46 (NKJV)
Psalm 46 was written by the sons of Korah. It was sung at a time when the times were dark; a time when it seemed like the enemies of truth had triumped. The words of this passage encourage us to place our hope and trust in God, His power and providence even at the worst
From this Psalm we must to know that:
- God is. He lives outside of time thus He is not controlled by time. He is unchangeable.
- God is our Refuge and Strength
- God is a very present Help, a proven Help, in times of trouble
- God is with us
- God is our Help
- He is always on time
- Our God is Almighty; all Powerful. He is the Conqueror of the Nations
- God is great in all His works
- There is no limit to God’s reach or ability
- God alone will be glorified
We must reflect upon these:
- We must not fear
- The Lord of Hosts (The Warrior God) is with us
- The Lord of Jacob is our Refuge
We must do these:
- We must not be moved by the noise
- Focus on what God has done
- Be still and know that He is God